Thursday, November 1, 2012

Creating a Lakota Winter Count of Your Life

Watch the video below to learn about the Lakota Winter Count.  Then you will begin the process of creating one of your own life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XNaYrAKiZmw

Now, what is your assignment?

1.  Talk with a parent about what you both believe to be the most important event that happened each year of your life.
2.  In your notebook, write down the most important event that happened each year of your life (you will have 10-11 events, depending on your age). 
3.  Then create a symbol to go with it, and draw the symbol next to each event you have recorded. 

Here is an example of how to organize this in your writing notebook.

Year 1:  I said my first word, which was "ma ma".  (In my notebook, I will draw a picture of my mom's face.)
Year 2:  This is the only memory I have of walking with my grandpa across the street before he died. (I will draw a symbol of two hands intertwined--a large one and a small one.)
Year 3:  And so on...

22 comments:

  1. Dear Miss shaw and the class,
    Here is my Lakota winter count, I have 11 years because I am 11 years old.
    Year 1: I started walking, and the symbol I made is a figure standing up.
    Year 2: I went on my first airplane, the symbol I drew is a airplane.
    Year 3: I went to school for the first time, The symbol I created is of a teacher explaining how to do 2+2.
    Year 4: I was Diagnosed with a peanut and tree nut allergy, The symbol I drew was a peanut.
    Year 5: I broke my leg, the picture I created for that was a leg with a cast on it.
    Year 6: I went to disney world and the symbol I drew was Disney's symbol.
    Year 7: My family and I wen to the Macy's day parade, the picture I drew was of a giant ballon.
    Year 8: I went to the black hills, and the symbol I drew was a black hill.
    Year 9: I traveled to Sanantonio, the symbol I drew was texas.
    Year 10: I learned how to program, and the symbol I put was the python icon.
    Year 11: I had my birthday, and the symbol I made was a birthday cake.



    Sincerely,
    Percy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Class,
    Here is the Lakota winter count of my life. I'm ten, so it has ten entries.
    Year 1: I started walking, so I symbolized that event with a pair of legs.
    Year 2: I was diagnosed with EDS, so I symbolized that event with an arm with stitches.
    Year 3: I went to Texas to see my Aunt and Uncle. I symbolized that with a picture of Texas.
    Year 4: I was Beginning to read, so I symbolized that with an open book.
    Year 5: my cousin was born, so I symbolized that with a baby in a blanket.
    Year 6:I started First grade, so I symbolized that with a picture of our awesome school!
    Year 7: I celebrated my last Christmas with my grandma, so I symbolized that with a Christmas tree.
    Year 8: I went to the Smithsonian for the first time, and saw the Hope Diamond I symbolized that event with a diamond.
    Year 9: I went to Split Rock, so I symbolized that event with, well a split rock.
    Year 10: My Grandpa passed away in this year, so I symbolized this unfortunate event with a headstone.
    If you are reading my post, thanks, you're awesome and have a great weekend.
    Sincerely,
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Class,

    Here is my Lakota Winter count of my life.

    Year 1: I learned to walk
    year 2: I learned to talk
    year 3: I was in a Target ad
    year 4: I learned how to ride a bike
    year 5: I went to kindergarten
    year 6: I went to Florida to celebrate the end of my Mom's cancer treatment
    year 7: I went to Hawaii with my family
    year 8: I went to camp for the first time
    year 9: I learned how to water ski
    year 10: I got a new puppy (Marley)

    Sincerely,

    Aaron Illies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you where in a Target ad? AWESOME!

      -Madison

      Delete
    2. YO AARON MY MAN

      SHRUB

      Delete
  4. Dear class,

    This is my Lakota Winter count of my life.

    Year 1: I learned how to walk so I drew me walking.
    Year 2: I went to a park for the first time so I drew me on a slide.
    Year 3: I lived in China so I drew me wearing a Chinese dress.
    Year 4: I went trick or treating for the first time so I drew myself in a costume.
    Year 5: I went to kindergarden so I drew myself at a desk.
    Year 6: I went to kumon so I drew myself doing math.
    Year 7: I moved to Edina from Bloomington so I drew myself moving boxes.
    Year 8: I traveled to Chicage so I drew myself at the Sears tower.
    Year 9: I went to Wisconsin Dells so I drew myself in a pool.
    Year 10: I broke my arm so I drew myself falling down the stairs.

    sincerely,

    Emily Bridell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Class,
    Year 1: I went on my first airplane. My symbol is an airplane.
    Year 2: I learned how to walk. My symbol is legs.
    Year 3: I broke my right big toe. My symbol is a foot cast
    Year 4: I got a new remodeled basement. My symbol is a hammer.
    Year 5: I learned how to read. My symbol is a book.
    Year 6: I first went to school. My symbol is a school bus
    Year 7: I learned how to ride a bike. I symbolized this with a bike.
    Year 8: I went on my first international vacation. My symbol is a passport.
    Year 9: I got my cat (Maggie). My symbol is whiskers.
    Year 10: I had my first basketball tournament. My symbol is a basketball
    Year 11: I got braces. My symbol is teeth.
    Sincerely,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear class
    Year 1:learn how to walk
    Year 2:learn to talk
    Year 3:rode a tricycle
    Year 4:put a toy number key in my ear
    Year 5:my third brother was born (Abdulmalik)
    Year 6:rode on a eletric scooter for my first time
    Year 7:my fourth brother was born (Abdulkadir)
    Year 8:went to Nairobi to see my cousins and my Grandma and my Aunt
    Year 9:first year at Countryside Elemantary
    Year 10:My first baby sister was born (Amira)
    sincerely,
    Abdi
    Si

    ReplyDelete
  7. Year 1:I got my first henna S: henna
    Year 2:I cut my lip because my brother pushed me S:lips
    Year 3:I learned how to dress up for winter S: mittens
    Year 4:I learned how to ride a tricycle S: tricycle
    Year 5:I learned how to make my bed S: a bed
    Year 6:I lost my first tooth S: a tooth
    Year 7:I learned how to mastered washing dishes S: a plate
    Year 8:I saw my grandma for the first time S: hands together
    Year 9:I went to a wedding with my mom for the first time S: a dress
    Year 10:My cousin was born S: a little baby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear class,
    This is my winter count.
    Year 1 - I said my first word, daboo, a nickname for our neighbors dog. Symbol of a dog.
    Year 2 - My brother Trygve was born. Symbol of a baby in a blanket.
    Year 3 - My first time Trick or Treating! Symbol of candy.
    Year 4 - We moved to Edina. Symbol of a house.
    Year 5 - My brother Beck was born. Symbol of a baby in a blanket.
    Year 6 - I lost my first tooth. Symbol of a tooth and a $.
    Year 7 - We got our dog Lucy. Symbol of a dog.
    Year 8 - I started riding horses. Symbol of a horses head.
    Year 9 - I went to sleepover camp for the first time. Symbol of a cabin.
    Year 10- i fell off a horse for the first time. Symbol of a horse with a person laying on the ground.

    Sincerely,

    Althea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Year 1- I celebrate my first Christmas with my family. Symbol is gift with bow.
      Year 2- I spend Thanksgiving in Paris. Symbol is La Tour Eiffel (Eiffel Tower)
      Year 3- I take my first boat ride at the lake cabin. Symbol is a boat on water.
      Year 4- My family goes camping at Glacier National Park. Symbol is a big mountain.
      Year 5- My brother Quinn is born. Symbol is a baby bottle.
      Year 6- I lose my first tooth. Symbol is a tooth fairy.
      Year 7- I start playing hockey. Symbol is two crossed hockey sticks with a puck in the middle.
      Year 8- My family moves to Edina. Symbol is a moving truck.
      Year 9- I attend French camp for the first time with my cousin Lily. Symbol is a baguette.
      Year 10- Our dog Zooey becomes a part of our family. Symbol is a dog's face.

      -Grace

      Delete
  9. These winter counts are going to be so much fun to make. I can't wait to have you create your winter counts in class!

    Miss Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Class,
    This is my winter count.
    Year 1-I said my first word, mamma, that's what I call my mom.
    Year 2-learned how talk
    Year 3-learned how to play Hockey
    Year 4-I went to preschool
    Year 5-I went to school
    Year 6-First time playing tee baseball
    Year 7-First time playing flag football
    Year 8-I learned how to wakeboard
    year 9-First time trying out for a time
    Year 10-First time doing a hockey camp

    sincerely,

    Jake Hankinson

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my Lakota winter count:
    Year 1 - I said my first Tibetan word.Symbol to talk
    Year 2 - I learned to walk.Symbol to walk
    Year 3 - I was sick for a 2 days and had to stay in the hospital.
    Year 4 - I went to Tibet and had my first physical fight WITH A GIRL and lost!
    Year 5 - My first visit to New York to see great uncle.
    Year 6 - First sleepover with a friend.
    Year 7 - I started liking basketball.
    Year 8 - I moved school from Concord to Country Side
    Year 9 - I got the nickname Shrub
    Year 10 -I went to Florida (Disney World!) for the first time

    Beast mode kid,



    Shrubby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is sssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccckkkkkkkkkk
      or otherwise SICK or AWESOME

      Delete
  12. Dear class,
    This is my Lakota winter count:

    Year 1:I learned how to walk.
    year 2:I went to India for the first time.
    Year 3:I started talking english
    Year 4: I started preschool.
    Year 5: My sister was born.
    Year 6: My first day of Countryside Elementry.
    Year 7: I started playing soccer at EP Soccer Association.
    Year 8:I earned a white belt in karate.
    Year 9:I started Gators (a swimming group)
    Year 10: First year of Saftey Patrol

    Regards, Raghava U.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear class,
    year 1:I learned to walk.
    year 2:I learned to talk.
    year 3:I helped grandpa drive the tractor.
    year 4:Ilearned to read.
    year 5:I went to Disney World.
    year 6:Grandma gave me a poem by A.A. Milne called "when I am six."
    year 7:I went to Yellowstone National Park and Cody,Wyoming.
    year 8:I went to Finland.
    year 9:I started violin.
    year 10:I got a dog.
    From: Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  14. did you put up the new blog post miss shaw?
    nicole

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everybody here is my lakota winter count
    Year 1:I learned to laugh. symbol a smily face.
    year 2:I learned to walk. symbol a foot
    Year 3:I went to NY in the winter and went down there hill and did a face plant. Symbol a person going sledding
    Year 4:I learned spanish. symbol a person saying hola.
    Year 5:I got my first lego set. symbol a lego brick.
    Year 6:I played my first football game. symbol a football.
    Year 7:I caught my first ocian fish. symbol a fish.
    Year 8:I took my first trip to florida. symbol a palm tree.
    Year 9:I played my first tackle football game. symbolna football helmit.
    Year 10:I won my first tackle football tournament. symbol a trophy with a football on the top.

    Archer

    ReplyDelete