Friday, January 11, 2013

What were Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Pride Values?

We have been exploring the philosophies Martin Luther King, Jr., had as we've been reading his "I Have a Dream" speech.  Take some time at home with an adult to learn more about this great American by exploring at least 3 of the 5 links on the attached website.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Website

Then write a letter to the class  on our blog, and identify at least 3 Pride values Martin Luther King had, and support those values with examples from his life that show he really "practiced what he preached".

For example, if I was going to do the same assignment on my dad instead of Martin Luther King, I would do some research on him to find out about examples from his life.  Here is what I would write:

Dear Class,

I have done a lot of research, and I have identified 3 Pride values that my dad definitely has.  First, he is very caring.  I remember when I was in 5th grade, and my dad asked a man who was homeless to come spend Thanksgiving with us.  The man did, and after that day, my dad would check in on him to make sure he was okay.  Now that's what I call caring!

He is also responsible.  After interviewing my mom, she told me that he had to join the army when he was drafted during the Vietnam War.  He didn't run off to Canada.  He didn't try to get out of it.  He was responsible and ended up spending two years on the army base in Japan.

Finally, he is trustworthy.  Whenever I have a problem, I trust him and know he will support me no matter what.  One time I called him and told him that I didn't want to continue with my education.  I had great plans to move to Minneapolis with the college degree I already had.  Even though I was worried about telling him, I knew I could trust him.  Once he told me he supported me, I ended up finishing my education, which is why I'm the person I am today.

Sincerely,
Miss Shaw

Now how would you apply those Pride values to the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.?  Discuss with an adult, using specific examples from your research, and then write your post.

26 comments:

  1. DEAR CLASS,
    1. great leadership
    2. very peaceful
    3. trustworthy

    from Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Class,
    Here are the top three pride values that I think Martin Luther King jr. demonstrates:

    He is respectful because when he talks about equality and civil rights in his “I Have a Dream” speech, he talks about equality for all not just African Americans. He has tolerance for other cultures. He never says anything mean about the white people. He just asks for equality.

    He is caring because he asks for equality for all people. Not just himself. He is caring because he didn’t have to make the “I Have a Dream” speech. He could have just begged for freedom for himself. He cares about all who are not treated with kindness.

    He is trustworthy because in his speech, he doesn’t lie. The words are his own thoughts. I know that because he says them with a lot of passion. He fights for what he says and he believes in what he says. As Doctor Seuss would say:
    “I meant what I said and said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful one hundred percent.” In this case, the elephant is M.L.K JR.

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LIKED HOW YOU PUT DR.SEUSS IN THERE LINDSEY.
      -NICOLE

      Delete
  3. Dear class,
    Here are some of the pride values Matin Luther King Jr had.

    1) i think he is fair. in 1955-1956 M.L.K Jr lead a black boycott to boycott the buses. and this boycott worked!after that the buses were back on desegregated basis. he did this so black and white people could sit where ever they wanted.

    2)M.L.K Jr was trustworthy. you could trust him because in his speeches he said things that were true to anyone no matter what the color of your skin. also hes never mean to anyone no the white people or any color of there skin.

    3)M.L.K Jr had great leadership. and of all the things he did he leaded everyone to this conclusion, color doesn't matter you can be friends with anyone YOU like.

    -NICOLE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Class,
    here are some of the Countryside pride values Martin Luther King Jr. had
    1) M.L.K. had a great sense of responsibility for those who were discriminated against.
    2) He was definitely caring. if he was not caring, I think we still would've had segregation today.
    3)I think he was fair to those who were diverse from everyone else.

    Please Take this blog post to heart, and remember it in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Class,
    here are some of the pride values that M.L.K. followed
    1. Trustworthiness because everyone could trust M.L.K.
    2. Caring because he did not try to make everyone fight about it
    3.He had great leadership because he was a good leader and lots of people agreed with him

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Class,
    These are some of the pride values MLKJ followed.

    First, he was a caring man. MLKJ showed deep concern for those in poverty.

    Second, he was a responsible man. Whenever he got arrested he would admit to his minor (yet either way, I don't think it should be one) crime.

    Third, he was a respectful man. He did not do violent protest and he respected those with him and against him.

    Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man and a hero. We will continue to honor his memory,

    Sincerely, Alejandro

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Class and Miss Shaw,
    With my dad I came up with some pride values M.L.K showed, here are some of them. M.L.K was caring, he lead a Poor People's March, and that showed that he was very concerned about all the people who were in poverty.

    M.L.K was responsible, even as a very important figure he still would be able to play a game of catch with his sons.

    And last M.L.K was fair, he started doing protests against discrimination, and a few months later he didn't just organize protests for his community, he started helping other communities do protests against discrimination.

    Those are the pride values I think M.L.K showed.

    Sincerely,
    Percy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear class,
    These are the three pride values I think M.L.K Provided,
    1)he showed respect. He showed respect by standing up in front of millions of white people and gave a speech called" I have a dream". He showed white people that he was not scared of how whites treated blacks.
    2)he showed caring. He showed this by helping the African Americans earn there right to be equalized as a human being.
    3) he showed fairness. He was fair by treating people as equals. He showed this by putting On peaceful protests and sit- ins.
    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear class,
    These are some pride values that MLKJ showed.

    1) He was caring because he lead a Poor People March that showed he cared for them.

    2) He was respectful and helped peoples bus boycott ideas to happen

    3) He was fair because he was fighting for the different people of all color's rights. Even when he was in jail.
    ALTHEA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear class,
    1, He was very peaceful
    2. He was a great leader
    3. He had good hopes
    diego

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear class these are my pride values,
    1,he wasn't violent
    2,he was responsable
    3,he was fair

    Sincerely,
    Jake Hankinson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear class, these are some great values M.L.K Jr. portrayed....

    One of those is how he showed other's feelings with nonviolence he changed his followers opinion of violence by showing what nonviolence and he really proved it, he has over 5000 followers doing nonviolence now. You can help to by using words to tell your brother or sister to give back your things and not hitting them.

    He also gave great speeches if you think that Lincoln did everything by freeing slaves you are right but there is more to it, M.l.K Jr helped from discrimination if you do not know what that means than look it up. to save time it means to separate people who look different from others M.L.K really damaged that word but not all there is still some today in some states.

    Even if great leaders have downfalls we will still remember them in our hearts.

    Regards,
    Raghava

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear class,
    These are M.L.K Jr.'s good values,

    1. He wasn't violent because none of his protests were violent.

    2. He is very caring about all people. He helped us to not have as many problems today with segregation.

    3. He was a very fair person. He believed everyone should be treated equally. He fought for the rights of the black people.

    sincerely,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear class
    martin luther King jr.'s pride values were
    1.Trustworthiness
    2.Fair
    3.Responsibility
    By:
    Abdi the Great

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear class
    1)He showed respect because he was a great leader to the African Americans because he stood up and did not care if he got shot he just went in front of white people and said his speech

    2) He showed respect because he had a long speech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3) He was trustworthy because everyone (most people at least) let him do the speech

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear miss Shaw, M.L.K.R was a very important man. He helped so many people in need. M.L.K.J's speech was one of the most thoughtful, and caring speeches ever. My mom and I know this because in his speech he never lied . M.L.K.J had a huge part in stopping Segregation.


    M.L.K.J was a trustworthy person. Because in his speech "I have a dream" he never lied , he always tolled the truth . Without M.L.K.J the United States Of America would still have Segregation to Blacks Whites and many more. Also Segregation would not stop in it's path if it wasn't for M.L.K.J.


    Here are a some questions for M.L.K.J if he was not dead

    1)M.L.K.J How did it feel when you first herd that African Americas were being treated unfairly?

    2)M.L.K.J How dose it feel to be connected to a wonderful lady such as Rosa Parks herself?

    3)how do you think of such a great speech, that got African Americans to pay more attention to the civil Rights. And at the same time stop Segregation in schools, jobs, and Public places too . All because of one speech("I Have A Dream")

    From no other then,
    ANISA MOHAMUD:):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear class,
    Here are some pride values I think MLK displayed:
    Caring: MLK cared for his race and cared for their rights. Like he said “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
    Fairness: When MLK protested he made sure he didn’t hurt anyone his own kin and whites alike. And like he said “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
    Trustworthiness: He always told the truth to his followers. No matter how bad or good the news.
    Shrey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Class,

    Some values MLK followed would be...

    1. Respect: He was respectful by helping the African Americans get there rights and not treating them bad like others did

    2. Caring: He was caring in putting the African Americans under his arm. He tried to help them, and that shows that he cares

    3. Fair: He was fair to the African Americans by treating them like royalty, witch everyone should be treated like

    -Madison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear class,

    These are the pride values I thought MLK followed.

    Fairness- Because he thought everyone should be equivalent, and he dreamed of a day when someone with dark skin could sit down with someone with white skin. “I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.”

    Trustworthy- MLK was trustworthy because lets say they weren’t going to get the law saying that segregation was illegal he would tell them that as soon as he found out.

    And finaly Responsibility- MLK was a leader so being a leader you had to have responsibility and he had a lot of responsibility and the fact that he kept it maintained and didn’t abuse it is amazing.

    --Grace

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Miss Shaw and Class,
    I looked at some of the links about Martin Luther King, Jr. with my mom. Here are the three Pride values I think he showed.
    1. Respect. MLK used nonviolence and peacefully protested for civil rights for everyone. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.
    2. Caring. MLK was caring for black people because he led the Montgomery, AL bus boycott so blacks could sit wherever they wanted on city buses.
    3. Responsibility. MLK was responsible to lead the people by giving phenomenal speeches about equal rights for all.
    From,
    Jeremy and my mom

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear class i have came up with 3 Values Martin Luther king Jr had.
    1.Fairness, because Martin Luther King Jr. Knew everybody should be treated equally and shouldnt be discriminated by the color of their skin.
    2.Kindness. He never was violent, he always wanted nonviolent protest.
    3.He was Respectful because he never was rude and insulted whites no matter what they did to him.
    Jung Haye

    ReplyDelete