Friday, January 18, 2013

Making a Difference

Martin Luther King, Jr., was known for making a positive difference in the world.  He was one of my inspirations when I thought about the creation of this year's new program, "Creating Change Buddies", that we are engaging in with Ms. Fiedler's 2nd graders.  Here are a couple other people who inspire me to make a difference every day. 

Here's what you need to do:
1.  Watch their messages with a family member.
2.  Discuss what you and your family can do to make a positive difference for someone or something in the world.
3. Write a letter to the class on our blog to tell us what you plan to do with your family and when you will do it.  Maybe we'll want to join you! 





57 comments:

  1. Dear class,
    after consulting with my mom about what, and why we wanted to make a difference in the world, I decided to write a mini-speech about this problem.
    One day, I hope that all of those in poverty will have clothes to wear, food to eat and a roof to cover their heads. One day, I hope everyone will do everything in their power to reach out and help the needy. That people will no longer live in fear that they will not have a meal the next day, we, together, must turn the fear of next day into newborn hope of tomorrow! When I was younger, people told me that everyone should be equal, no matter what, than why do we sit around and expect the world to change itself, when you know, in your heart, that YOU could be helping someone, who would die without your support! Why, I ask you are you lazy and believe that people will just destroy poverty for you, no, it is you who must go into the world and do something about it!

    anyways, thanks class mates for reading my post and mini-speech. I hoped you liked it!
    Sincerely,
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRENDAN,
      You would make an amazing speech writer for President Obama!
      Shrey

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you feel strongly about making a difference. You sound like you can be an advocate to fight poverty. Let us know how you are doing.

      Delete
    3. See my post below, Brendan, about one specific way of helping eliminate poverty. Speaking out about it is great. Could you host a collection event for an organization where you can give your speech? You are very persuasive and inspirational.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  2. Dear class, my family serves at a homeless shelter and we plan to do it soon.

    sawyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific service. What have you learned about yourself by doing that?

      Delete
    2. Tell us more about how you help the people at the shelter, Sawyer.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  3. Dear Class
    I think I have a musical talent for playing the piano and would like to, with the help of a few friends, with other varied talents organize a talent show for the elderly at a old age home because I know that they will feel lonely and bored without anybody to come and visit them. If we are able to give them an evening of fun and entertainment to make them smile I would feel happy that I have made a small difference.
    Sincerely,
    Shrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific!! I love that you can use what you're interested in to be helpful.

      Delete
    2. I love this idea! Let me know how the planning is going.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ms. Bascom.
      Shrey

      Delete
  4. Dear class,
    Our idea for making a difference
    Here is our idea!
    Every time you don't go out to eat put the money you would of spent in the bin. Once we get enough money we could get some materials and make blankets for pets at the humane society , shelter or pound. we plan to get the money quick and do it soon.
    -NICOLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Animals appreciate your caring actions.

      Delete
    2. Keep us posted so that maybe we could do some work at school.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  5. Dear class,
    my way to make a difference is to simply donate money for the people who are homeless. If everyone thinks it is simple then every rich person or not may donate $5 every week for 1 year in the US and then “Abracadabra” 50% of the homeless will have food to eat water to drink and a roof to live on. Simple! One more thing is that there is a site called free rice it feeds the hungry people by every question you answer right here is the site http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/1371.

    Regards,
    Raghava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love free rice because it helps you learn at the same time.

      Delete
    2. For a second I thought someone RANDOM was posting on the blog blog but then realized it was miss Rodgers :)

      -Madison

      Delete
    3. wups I put two "Blogs"


      SORRY SUCH A MISTAKE I HAVE MADE!

      -Madison

      :D

      Delete
    4. I LOVE free rice my favorite topic is chemistry full list. My streak is ten on it.
      Shrey

      Delete
  6. Dear class,
    First I played the free rice game and I watched the lemonade stand video on Saturday so me and my brother are really good smoothie makers so at around 5:00 me and my brother made a smoothie stand and donate all the money to a charity and at the end me and my brother had raised $27.50 so we donated it all to a charity

    Shrubs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome, Ngawang! What charity did you donate it to? You also contributed to making a difference yesterday with your family when you shared a part of your heritage with your performing group. Bravo! I learned more about Tibet than I knew before.

      :) Miss Shaw

      Delete
  7. Dear Miss Shaw,
    7 years ago my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer.
    7 years ago my mom raised about $3,000 and walked over sixty miles to raise awareness for breast cancer research.
    Last February my grandma's cancer came back, and she passed away 3 months later at the age of 63.
    So this year my family and I are going to brain storm ideas to raise more money for cancer research.
    My sister and I planned to do alex's lemonade stand but we didn't do it because our grandma was getting more sick.
    This year me and my sister will do the lemonade stand and we will put all of the money we earn to cancer research.

    Sincerely,
    Percy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, Percy. I am glad to hear that you want to make a difference by honoring her memory through raising money for cancer research. Let us know what you decide to do, in case we can be a part of it.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  8. dear class,
    I played the rice game and watched the lemonade stand video.
    By:Abdi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a start, Abdi, but what will you and your family do to help make a difference in the world? And when will you do it? Read other people's ideas, speak to your family, and come up with your own. Then post your idea here.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
    2. Dear shaw
      We are going to make a hot cocao stand all the money we make will go to charity and we made $ 20.00 in the hot cocao stand. We were very proud of our selves.

      Delete
    3. We will do it on Sunday
      By:Abdi

      Delete
  9. Dear class,
    I watched the videos and decided this:
    I would want to go around different animal shelters and donate things to them. I would also volunteer at them to help the animals in the shelters.

    THEO

    aka-althea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great ideas, Althea. When do you and a family member plan on doing this? Keep us posted. Maybe more people will want to be involved.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  10. Dear Class,

    Since today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and it's also our National Day of Service, I decided to do some research to see what events are taking place around Minneapolis.

    I found an event where people are accepting clothing for a program called Youth Works. It is a local program that is focused on helping young people who are homeless. They help give them shelter, food, jobs, and health care. This seems to go with what Brendan was speaking about above. So I found some clothes I don't wear anymore but are still in good condition. I also called a friend and asked if he had anything to donate. Between the two of us, we have 2 full bags of clothing to donate, and I will drop it off tomorrow.

    I can't wait to continue to make a positive difference with all of you!

    Miss Shaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms. Shaw
      I think its great that your helping the world and people that arent as fortinet as us.
      Diego

      Delete
    2. Dear Miss Shaw
      I Agree
      By:Abdi the Great

      Delete
  11. Dear Class,

    Tomorrow Grace, Dana, Gretchen, my parents, my brother and myself are going to "Feed My Starving Children" to pack food. Between Impact Lives(CAH) and "Feed My Starving Children" we will donate enough money to feed a family of four for a year.

    Happy Birthday Dr. King!!!

    From Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will also look for hunger facts to share with you on the news!!

      Lindsey

      Delete
    2. That's awesome, Lindsey! It sounds like you had quite a crew making the world a better place.

      Miss Shaw :)

      Delete
  12. Here is what my idea for helping the world.

    I would want to help a lot of animals, have you heard that if every dog and cat was adopted you would need to take in seven cats and 3 dogs that is how many house pets are homeless and that is just dogs and cats. I also plan on going outside to pick up as much trash as I can. That is what I will do to help the world and animals

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How will you help the animals, Andrew? What will be your specific actions?

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  13. dear class,
    My idea for changing the world is to go to feed my starving children or somewhere you pack food and spend hours there.
    Also we could help animals. help them by fostering dogs and cats.
    -madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you talked to your mom about fostering a dog or cat?

      Delete
  14. Dear class,
    What my family is going to do to make a difference for someone else is to donate food, clothing, & toys to the inner-city ministry at our church. We will travel with our Pastor to deliver these items to families who need our help. We have done this before, and I remember kids being very excited about a new stuffed animal, and Mother's crying tears of Joy.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that you go along to give these donations to people, and that you appreciate how happy they are when they get something new. I remember feeling the same way when I went to Russia to deliver similar items to kids in orphanages.

      Miss Shaw :)

      Delete
  15. Dear Miss Shaw and class,
    I would help animals because they are so cute and cuddly and they need homes. There are too many animals without homes and I think everyone should pitch in and help. Animals that need homes, food and medical care are: cats, dogs, turtles and more. I hope you like animals because you might need to pitch in and take one in. See you all tomorrow at school. I might want to go to the Humane Society and help out there.
    From,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what specific action will you take to help out animals who are homeless? I think you need to be 14 in order to volunteer at the Humane Society, so you may want to double check. Let us know what you and your family decide to do for animals.

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  16. Dear miss Shaw,
    I hope to do these things
    1. Help at hospitals
    2. Donate money that I earn
    3. Make stands to make money
    4. Make and sell blankets
    5. Reduce, reuse, recycle and compost
    6. Help stop littering
    7. Shop for less expensive stuff to save up money
    And that's the 7 was I hope to make a difference
    From no other then,
    ANISA MOHAMUD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which of these will you do first, and when will you do it? Also, who will you be doing it with in your family?

      Miss Shaw

      Delete
  17. Dear Class,
    I think things that would help the world are
    1.Donate money to Hospitals
    2.Use electric cars
    3.Donate old blankets, jackets and other stuff to those in need
    4.Help out at Countryside Against Hunger/Feed My Starving Children
    5.Neuter/Spay your Dogs and Cats
    I hope my ideas will some day inspire many others to do the same and change the world.

    Alejandro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, Class
      What I did with my friend was pick up litter in my neighborhood, then we shoveled each other's sidewalks.

      Sincerely,
      Alejandro

      Delete
  18. Dear Miss Shaw and class,
    My older brother Mac is 15 years old and every Sunday he helps kids with special needs play hockey. They are 6-21 yrs old. Some can skate and shoot the puck but others need a lot of help. One little girl sits in a chair and my brother skates and pushes her around the rink. I have decided to go with him and do what I can to help. They are so happy to play hockey just like I am!

    Sincerely,
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear class,
    Me and my family are going to be donating the clothes that we dont need anymore to goodwill.
    -diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we will be doing this over the weekend and will be giving shirts pants and socks.
      Diego

      Delete
  20. Dear Class,

    Me and my mom cleaned up my room over the weekend. We sorted the stuff into piles. The piles were called "Keep" and Un-Wanted". When we collected all the things in the piles, we donated the unwanted clothes and toys to The Salvation Army. That is what I did to make a change. That stuff could really help someone out!

    Smiles forever :)-

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  21. Me and my family plan to give out food for people who are less fortunate than us. people with money may take our meals for granted and say "i don`t like this" and just throw it away. somebody on the street would never do that. They would be happy that they have a meal at all. if we were those beggars and homeless we would`ve never do that, if we had a meal at all.

    Help the world!
    junghaye

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me and my family plan to go donate some food, clothing and money to people less fourtunet than us.

    Archer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear class
    my family and i are going to go to a charty we are donate clothes
    socks and we are doing it to next monday

    ReplyDelete