Sunday, October 9, 2011

Draft 2 of My Special Bracelet--"Adding senses to describe the setting"

Tonight I created a bubble map of the setting of the story that I plan on writing, the one about my special bracelet.  The setting was a Tibetan store on Grand Avenue in St. Paul.  I did the same brainstorming exercise we did last week when our setting was the field outside of Countryside.  As you can see, this second draft has more details to describe the setting, including what I heard, saw, smelled, and touched.  Let me know what you think about this draft compared to my first one in the comments section below.

One beautiful sunny day in the spring of 2009, my mom and I drove to Grand Avenue in St. Paul to go out to eat at my favorite vegetarian restaurant.  As we began walking side by side to the cafe, the sun was warm on my arms, and the wind brushed against my face.  Suddenly, I noticed a window display that was filled with beautiful jewelry, boxes of incense, colorful banners with sacred quotes on them, and a red poster that simply said Free Tibet. 

"Mom, is it okay if we stop in this store?" I asked. 

"Sure," she replied.  "We've got a little time before lunch." 

"Ring, ring, ring."  The bells of a wind chime announced our arrival as we walked in the door. Immediately, the scent of sandalwood wrapped its arms around me, and I could see the smoke rising from the incense that was burning in the back of the store. I meandered around the small space, but it didn't take me long to find what I wanted.  I  sauntered over to the jewelry section and noticed some beautiful beaded bracelets. A tag hung from each one.  On the tag you could find out what the beads for each bracelet represented.   One represented good luck.  Another represented beauty.  The one I found especially inviting represented love and healing. I picked up the bracelet, slipped it on, and felt the smooth green beads warm themselves against my skin. I instantly knew it was jade because I had bought jade jewelry when I was vacationing in Guatemala many years before.

I turned to my mom and said, "What do you think about each of us getting a jade bracelet so we remember this day together?" 

"What does it represent?"  she asked as she tried the bracelet on herself. 

"It's supposed to bring healing and love to the person who wears it," I told her. 

"We could sure use those healing powers right now, couldn't we?  Yes, let's get them together.  That's a great idea," she said as she took them both up to the cash register and paid for them.  The soothing sound of the Tibetan shawm  played over the loud speaker and the oboe sounding music made me feel that everything was going to be okay, no matter what happened.

You see, my mom and I had just come from the hospital where I had my first MRI.  It was a frightening experience, and we still didn't know what was wrong with me.  After seeing three different doctors, all we knew was that I couldn't hold my neck up without using my hands, and it would spasm uncontrollably at different times throughout the day.  I was so glad that my mom had gone with me because I was afraid of what the diagnosis might be.

So on that day, my mom and I purchased an object that we would both wear every day to help me heal.  Although we didn't know what the future held for us, we felt better knowing that we were connected, even when we weren't together.

4 comments:

  1. Eva said

    That's a awesome story Miss.Shaw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story has lots of cool details to tell us! What day did you get it? Nicholas Yelkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nick and Eva. It was a weekday in the spring of 2009. I don't remember the date, but I had to take a sick day so I could go to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucie said,

    I can't wait to do my final draft! Yours is awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete