One day my mom and I drove to Grand Avenue in St. Paul to go out to eat at my favorite vegetarian restaurant. As we began walking to the cafe, I noticed a store that had beautiful jewelry and other items from the colony of Tibet. "Mom, is it okay if we stop in here?" I asked. "Sure," she said as we entered the little store. I walked back to the jewelry and noticed some beautiful beaded bracelets, and there was a tag that hung from each one. On the tag you could find out what the beads for each bracelet represented. One represented love and healing. Another represented good luck. Another represented beauty.
I turned to my mom and said, "What do you think about each of us getting a jade bracelet so we remember this day together?"
"What does it represent?" she asked.
"It is supposed to bring healing and love to the person who wears it," I told her.
"We could sure use those healing powers right now, couldn't we? Yes, let's get them together," she said as she took them both up to the cash register and paid for them.
You see, we had just come from the hospital where I had my first MRI. It was a frightening experience, and we still didn't know what was wrong with me. After seeing three different doctors, all we knew was that I couldn't hold my neck up without using my hands, and it would spasm uncontrollably at different times throughout the day. I was so glad that my mom had gone with me because I was afraid of what the diagnosis might be.
So on that day, my mom and I purchased an object that we would both wear every day to help me heal. Although we didn't know what the future held for us, we felt better knowing that we were connected even when we weren't together.
No comments:
Post a Comment