Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Art Adventures and Making a Difference

On Monday we had a wonderful art lesson with Mr. and Mrs. Straub about the painting of George Washington and all the things our first president did to make a difference in the world.  We also created a thought-provoking art project when we were asked to draw 3 things that we wanted for our country.  Thinking about what you want that is good for our country is the first step.  However, it doesn't do any good until you actually act on it.

I want you to choose one of the 3 things you drew that you want for our country, and think about one positive way you will make a difference in the world this summer that is related to your chosen topic.  Write a paragraph about what you will do (a topic sentence, at least 3 detail sentences, and a closing sentence), and make sure it is something that you will actually do this summer.  Let's put our thoughts into action and make this world a better place!  Here is what I'm going to do.

Have you ever been frustrated by the fact that there are so many homeless animals?  I have, and that is why I made sure the two dogs I adopted 3 years ago were animals that didn't have homes.  For the past couple of years, I have thought a lot about volunteering for a week at an animal rescue shelter, but I never took the time or saved the money to go to one.  There are two places I am thinking about going to this summer for my summer vacation:  the Farm Sanctuary in New York or The Gentle Barn in California.  Both animal sanctuaries take in homeless animals, including farm animals.  So now I need to make my plans so that I can buy my plane ticket and arrange for housing when I am there caring for the animals and doing whatever they need me to do as a volunteer.  I am so excited about my trip, and I hope you will enjoy hearing about my experiences when we return to school in the fall.


Speckles and Morey love their new home, and I cherish having them with me.

34 comments:

  1. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be starving every night when you go to sleep? I have and that is why I want to do everything I can do to help. What I want to do is to try to go to FMSC (Feed My Starving Children) at least 1 time a month in the summer. I know that that will not solve the starvation problem but I will try my best to get more people to help me. I hope that you want to help solve the starvation problem with me. :) Zach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I choose the vase with a recycling sign on it to say that I want there to be a clean litter free community.I am going to do this by taking a church camp and at that camp we go to peoples houses and we pick up their yards and houses.I realy like doing this because it makes me feel very good inside and like I just change the world {which I kind of did.}I love to help my community and I think that this project to help encourage kids and adults to clean up are community.I hope that one day are world will be super clean!!

    GRACE LOHRDING

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that there's a layer of plastic on some parts of the bottom of the ocean? Did you know there is a floating island of plastic bags in the ocean the size of Texas? Well I do and I think that pollution is a terrible thing. I was thinking that over the summer I could reuse platic bags. I have alway used my Thermos water bottle rather than plastic bottles. I have always loved the ocean and all of the life that lives there. So please help protect the ocean by reusing plastic bags if you have to use them and please don't buy water in bottles. by Jake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine if the world was big dump and there was garbage just sitting around. I would not want to live there so my idea is to go green this summer.I will do this by inviting my friends over and clean up my park.Thats how I,m gonna make the world a better world

    BIRCH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that half of the animals are dying because of pollution? well this summer i can gather up some friends and clean up trash from the park. There is even this thing called adopt a highway where you can pick up trash on a part of the highway you own. my sister cares for the envirement a lot thats how i know about that. Remember to recycle and don't litter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That one with out a name is Jackie's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drew a picture of the earth because I want people to be green. I am going to go to the park that my Brownie Troops has adopted at least once a month. I am going to clean up the park by picking up trash. I could maybe get some friends to come pick up trash too! We could even ride our bike to the park to be really green! I hope that one day the world will be green!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one up above is Eva's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does it bug you that some kids are starving to death?But we can stop it. I'm going to go to Feed My Starving Cheldrin this summer. When I'm there I'll pack food and watch a video about starving people. I will save lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one obove is Jack's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you get mad when you know that the world is getting pretty dirty? People can help the world by not littering, helping clean up and more. So this summer I'm going to help clean up and not litter, I'm also going to do some more but I think this is enough for the blog.But I will try not to do bad things for the world.

    Montse caride

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oscar said Don't you hate it when people smoke? When it is summer I will post a sign up on are fire hydrant. Hopefully, the people who smoke won't anymore. So please, DON'T smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Violet said

    Did you know that the earth is becoming a big garbage dump and and animals are dying because of it. Well I want to stop pollution this summer, do you? This summer I will NOT use plastic bags and plastic water bottles. I will ride my bike as much as I can to places. I will recycle and reuse as may things as possible. I will use paper bags or reusable bags. I will also use both sides of pieces of paper to reduce the amount of trees being cut down. I will not take long showers or keep the water on when I don't need it. I will not leave the lights on when I don't need them. These are all simple things you can do every day.
    My big plan though is to go around to parks and neighbors yards and pick up trash and/or recycling and throw it away or recycle it. I could do this by myself or with a big group of friends. (I think it would be more efficient to do it with mutual people.) I hope I can help make a clean earth and that you want to help too.
    P.S. If you want to help me tell me at school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a type- o I ment to write multiple.
    Sorry Violet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucia said
    Have you ever thought what it would be like if you didn't know when your next meal was or how you would get it? Well this summer I am going to feed my starving children and going to help with people getting starving around the world. I will go to food shelves and give them food. I will try the best I can to help with starvation. I hope people get some food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Noah said

    Have you ever thought it would be nice if there was no such thing as world hunger? This summer and at Jack's Birthday party (At feed my starving children.) I will work hard on trying to stop world hunger. We're lucky we have super markets and so much food. I will go to feed my starving children more than once. We're lucky to have so much food

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goal is to recycle alot more then i'm doing! I will be more thoughtful when i'm drawing to not waste paper. I will also help my family recycle cans and things.I will not though away things that can be recycled. I will work to do my goal.

    Matthew Enck

    ReplyDelete
  18. I drew a ocean and fishes because we would not pullet the water. I would do that by not using plastic water bottles. we are lucky that we still have fresh water

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nicholas said...
    I am sad for the homless kids in Minnesota, they need food and shelter. This summer I will have my buddies over and pack lunches for the hungry & homeless kids in St. Paul. We will make pies, cookies, sandwiches, and fruit. Ms.Shaw & the class please join us. Think of all the lunches we can make to give to the hungry children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I drew the recycle symbol to recycle cans. I'm going top pick up cans and then I will give them to be recycled. Me and my friend will go around to the cabins and collect their cans. I take them to a grocery store. Thats what I'm going to do this summer.

    PORTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lucie said-

    Doesn't it make you sad to think about starvation? It makes me sad. That's why I have food for everybody to share in my country. I have berries, apples, and water. I hope you learned a lot about starvation!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't you hate it when people litter. Well, I hate it because then you have to walk around in trash (you can also get cut by glass). To fix part of the problem, I will go to a nearby park and clean it up. Most likely I will get friends and neighbors (and Jonah) to help pick up. This will make the park a cleaner, and nicer place

    ReplyDelete
  23. The one above is Josh's

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know how all the rainforests and other trees are getting cut down? Well I'm going to start planting trees. Because since there’s so much trees being cut down first: it will start cutting down on the oxygen that trees give out. Also if this keeps up there won't be any trees left (hopefully not). So again I'm going to plant trees and hopefully get some friends to help too. Remember every tree helps.

    -Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey Miss.Shaw I just relized this but the clock on your blog is 2 hrs behind just so you know

    ReplyDelete
  26. I often feel bad when I waste food and so many people right here in Minnesota have no money to buy food. We are having a big family reunion over the 4th of July. I am going to send notes to all my family asking for food donations. Since our family has more than 50 people I hope to collect a lot of food. I will donate the food to the food shelf that my church works with. I think my whole family will feel good about helping the people who need food.

    Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have you ever wondered about people not recycling ? Well, I have. I have decided to start taking charge of all the recycling.I will make sure we use everything plastic,metal,or any non-compost able thing my family will reuse. Now I feel like a better person.


    Lukas Kovanda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! There are a lot of amazing ideas posted on this topic. I think it would be fun if I created another topic called "What are you doing this summer?" That way people can post when they are going to be working on their goals and let others know they can join them. For example, if you are going to clean up a park, you can tell us when, where and what time. If you're going to do something like Nick suggested, you can do the same thing. Just post the date, address, and time you want people to meet. I can't wait to hear how your goals are going. I just contacted the Gentle Barn and am looking forward to hearing back from them about volunteering. One of the jobs they have is hugging cows. Doesn't that sound awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Olivia said

    Imangine a little pet without a home.Those little animals alone with no place to go.So what i am going to do this summer is have lots of lemonade stands and that money will go to the humane society. That is my anser.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Doesn't it make you sad that some people don't have any food? That's why in my country I have extra food. What I could do over the summer is I could go to and donate food to VEAP. In my picture I put apples, berries, and water. I hope you learned a lot about starvation!

    By: Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  31. By Luke

    I think people should pick up the wrappers or containers of what they eat and drink. You should help people that are homeless or elderly, especially after storms or during heat waves. Last but not least, it is a good thing to do Feed My Starving Children.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have you ever gone to bed hungry? Well think about being starving evry night. What would that be like? The kids in hatiy go to bed starving every night. That is Why i pertisipate in Feed My Starving Children. That is When my hole school comes together to pake food. We rase mony and that mony goes to Feed My Starving Children. So we pay for the shipements. This year we paked 14000 meels in 1 hour. I am in this every year. I LOVE Feed My Starving Children.
    [ Alexa Swenson ]

    ReplyDelete
  33. Luke and Alexa,
    Make sure you write about what YOU are going to do this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ellie Said:
    I did a boal of grapes for world starvation. My and I are going to ask people from my church and my friends from school if they would like to do feed my starving chirldrin at CPC (the church that we used to go to untill we swiched to a difrent church) so the kids in haiti would get food. I also have a swim team in downtown and I saw all of these homeless people so i and my family wil go and make a breakfast lunch or dinner for them with a fruit and veggy. this is how i will make a differnce in world hunger
    :):):):)

    ReplyDelete