Sunday, March 20, 2011

How was your Newbery book?

Since your Newbery book is supposed to be read by April 2, the day we get back from break, I want you to start thinking about it now.  What was your opinion of the book?  Would you recommend it to a friend?  If so, why?  For example, did the author show you actions and feelings rather than tell about them?  Give 2 specific examples from the book to support your opinion.  As another example for a topic you could write about, did the author use interesting details?  Give 2 specific examples of the book that  support this opinion.  Think about what topic you want to give your opinion about, and then give a total of two examples from the book to support it in your blog post.

If you would not recommend this book to a friend, then tell us why.  Was it boring?  Give 2 specific examples from the book to support your opinion. 

Be sure to check your spelling, capitalization and grammar before you publish your post.  I've been noticing that some people are forgetting to do this, and I will be looking at your posts to see if you are using the grammar rules we are learning in class.

Also, be sure to completely answer the question by giving 2 specific examples of the book to support your opinion of the book.

I can't wait to read all about your book.

26 comments:

  1. Grace said my book is a great book. I can't put it down. I would recomend this book to a friend because the author shows how the chareters are feeling and she does a great job of explaning their feelings with descriptive words. I can see visually what they look like in my mind. That is why I would recomend this book to a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexa said My book is great. just like you said i fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lukas said I think that my book is great. Yes,I would recommend it to a friend because the book is adventurous and the book interesting and fun to read . Like when the Huns first see the White Stag the way they act is strange ,cool ,and adventurous at the same time. Also to see the Huns I action in their first war is cool to! I hope you read the book White Stag and like as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach said

    My book is a really good book because the author uses juicy discriptive words. One example is he discribed the house in sted of just saying it is gross. Another example is that when he gets kidnapped he doesn`t just say he`s sad he discribes it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake said I think that my book was great I would totaly recommend this book to a friend because it keeps my on the edge of my seat, Like when Ramon finds the black pearl he is happy and scared. Also when gasper Ruiz kidnapps Ramon he harpoons a manta and gets pulled down with it. That is why I recommend this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Porter said...
    I think my book was ok because it wasn't that exciting at parts. I would recommend this book to a friend. When it was exciting it was really exciting. One time Stanley stole a pickup truck and drove it in the desert. A second time he had to clime up to the peak of a mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva said I think my book was great because the author does a good job of explaining how the charecters are feeling. The author also does a good job of describing the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my book was pretty good. I would recommend this book if you can stay with a book when things aren't super exciting. It is boring in some parts because the main character just sits around for long periods of time like one time he watched a chipmunk until it got scared away and another time he watched a butterfly until it was carried off into the wind. That is my opinion of my book: Incident at Hawk’s Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Montse said...I think my book is good. like a lot of parts in it. To me it is exciting and makes me wonder what will happen next.And I liked it when she showed care for her new friend. And I liked it when she wouldn't go crazy when she figured out some bad things about someone. I would recommend this book to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucie said my book is the best! The author gave lots of details about the topic, and she even showed the reader what a character was doing instead of telling the reader. One, because the author said, "she smiled" instead of, "she was happy." Two, because the author said, "she frowned" instead of, "she was sad."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Violet said my book Mr. Popper's penguins is a fantastic book. If you like funny books then this is a great book for you. The authors do a good job of making the book interesting by making the charters do something strange when they need to solve a problem. The authors didn’t say the service man was scared they said the service man ran out of the house screaming and dropped all of his stuff. (That’s not exactly what the authors said).They also don’t say someone’s happy or disappointed they give words that describe that feeling. There were smilies. One was sometimes momma says daddy’s hair looks like a lions mane. (It wasn’t exactly that but something really close).I recommend this fabulous book! (Yes there are two authors).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jack says he would recommend his book, Ginger Pye, to a friend because it's interesting and funny. The book is interesting because the author shows the reader actions and feelings instead of telling about them. For example, instead of writing "Ginger is smart," the author writes how Ginger tracked his owner Jerry all the way to school when he was curious where he went during the day. A second example is how the author describes everyone's reaction when Ginger goes to Jerry's school. These are two examples of how the book is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luke said...
    I think my Newbery book was awesome. The best parts were when they entered back in time. Also, when they meet two of her friends. That's why I think it is a good book. Your student, Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jackie said that my book Ramona and Her Father is a very good book.I would recamend this book because it shows problems that a little girl has. It might be what you did when you were little and bring back fun memories.its funny and shows all the fun times Ramonana and her father had. And all the big noisey fusses as Ramona says. You should try it its a page flipper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Matthew said...
    I think my Newbery book is good. I would recommend it to a friend because the author writes good details,like sooped in not gingerly but at 40 to 50 miles an hour! Or like the baby hawk has super soft feathers. The author does use interesting details,like the hawk gouged him open! These are reasons why it is a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Olivia said i like my newbery book.I would recommend it to a friend because i like how when it it gives pictures when it was a really important part also i like when it says ms.calcet instead of the mom those are the reason i like my newbery book

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucia said I think my Newbery book is ok. I don't think this book is that good because the main character is not that exciting to me, although I do like the story. The book didn't give me enough detail. The author would say "the boat was fun"but not give detail why it was fun. Also, they mostly talked. I would have liked some activity in the book. I would not recommend Al Capone Does My Shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Josh said My Newbery book was good! I think this because the author describes the main characters surroundings in good detail. An example was when she was by the shore the waves were huge,they looked like waves licking the shore. Or the time when the Aluets came it talked about their ship and where they stayed to hunt for sea otter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nicholas said: My book was exciting and a problem solving story. You should read it! The author described Jake and Alex very well. He also described the wolf spider and it's fuzzy babies with lots of details.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Griffin said The Bears on Hemlock Mountain was a good book. The author gave great descriptions on how Jonathan was feeling as he traveled the mountain. I would not recommend the book because it was not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jake said I still think my book was good because it has lots of action like when Ramon is kiddnaped he trys to fight back and one day Ramon's father goes out to sea and never comes back. That is why I recomend this book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oscar said that one thing was that the author made the book interesting because he uses a lot of similes and good grammar and he also shows a lot of action like when Joey Pigza (the main character) accidently cuts off someones nose. that's why I reccomend my book. (Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Noah said I think my book was Beast. (Awesome.) It has tons sf cool actions like when Joey's dad had him not take his medicine. That's why I think this book is kick'n and beast. You should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Miss Shaw says it sounds like most of you enjoyed your Newbery books. I can't wait to read about them on your websites.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't think my book is good. It doesn't have much details.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry, Oscar posted the comment above

    ReplyDelete