Monday, June 4, 2012
Reflecting on Your Learning
Dear Awesome Students,
Write a letter to Miss Shaw and answer the following questions in the form of 3 different paragraphs (but do not number them in the letter). Be sure to give 2-3 detail sentences to explain each one. Here are the topics:
1. What was your favorite project that we did together in class this year? Why was it your favorite project?
2. What did you learn about yourself this year? Did you learn that you can be a positive leader? Did you learn you can solve problems on your own? How did you learn this lesson, and how will you use it in your future?
3. Tell me anything else you want me to know about our year together. If you don't have anything to write, then tell me which daily activities you liked so much that I should do them with my future 5th graders.
I can't wait to hear your opinions on these topics!
Sincerely,
Miss Shaw
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear 3/4 Class,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite classroom project was the monthly book talks. I thought it was fun to learn about books other people read. It made me want to read all of those books right away. I was impressed with the detail on the posters. Now I have a good list of books to read over the summer.
I learned that I can be supportive to my classmates. I learned this lesson form the 4th graders. I helped some of my classmates with there there home work. I look forword to next year so I can show the new third graders with this skill.
This year, I enjoyed the monthly lunches with Ms. Shaw and hte third grade girls. It was nice for us to get together and have time to chat with other girls. I really enjoyed the reading log challenges, it made me a better reader. I ended up getting a library card and like checking books out to read. Art adventure was my favorite thing to do because it was fun to see what other people would do to make somethinng. I even learned how to make new things. Thats what I enjoyed about this year.
Love,
Sasha
Dear class,
ReplyDeletemy favorite thing to do this year was the poetry books. I liked it because we had the mother & fathers day poem as a surprise. Next, we got fancy covers from your special book. Last,the poems we wrote were fun to write all year. That was why I enjoyed doing the poetry book.
This year, I learned lots of things about myself. First, i learned that i can always be a leader. Second,i did learn to solve problems on my own by thinking hard and clever. Last, i liked the blog assignments as an activity. First,it was a good way to share your thoughts. Also, it was good to improve your writing. Lastly, we didn't have to do it too much so we didn't get tons of homework.those were my reflections!!
Sincerely,
Case
Dear class,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite activity was when we learned how to do the flag books because it was really fun and I liked the way the strips were set up. I learned that I can be good at anything but I just have to try and I learned that I can be a positive leader. Also I learned to solve problems by my self, like when I stopped a fight at recces. Also I will solve problems later in my life. I really like when you give us knucks when leave to go home everyday and I think you should do it with your fifth graders next year to.
sincerly your friend,
Owen
Dear Amazing Students,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite activity was doing the mock Congress and executive branch. It was my favorite because it gave me a chance to step back and watch you experience the highs and lows our elected officials have to deal with all of the time. In addition, you made a difference by creating rules that will be changed at Countryside. That's why it was so awesome.
One thing I learned about myself is that I can learn to let go as a teacher and let you solve problems on your own. Each one of you took ownership of our classroom by making announcements and sharing conerns and accomplishments. It meant a lot to me that you cared so much about our class that you spoke up, rather than me having to do it. We all worked together as a community, and I know I can help create that next year too.
My last thing I want you to know is that you are smarter than most people give you credit for. Most people don't think 3rd and 4th graders can think and perform at the high level you all do. But you showed me that 3rd and 4th graders can do anything they set their mind to, like making a difference by changing the rules at Countryside and learning how to solve problems on your own. Your writing also amazed me, especially the poetry that you wrote towards the end of the year.
You are awesome, and I'll always remember you.
Sincerely,
Miss Shaw
Dear Miss Shaw,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite project we did this year was Tinysota. I liked it because we got to learn how to be a community and building Tinysota was really fun.
This year I learned it's really easy to make a difference. It's also really easy to be a role model. I will use this to help the world be a better place.
I think you should play a game every day with your 5th graders because when you did it with us, it was really fun! I hope you have a great summer!
Sincerely,
Luke M.
Dear Class,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite activity this year was the flag books. It was my favorite because we got to learn from the other CP class how to do it. It was also fun to create the cover and the flags. That is why my favorite activity was the flag books.
One thing I learned about myself this year is that I can be a positive leader. I learned this lesson when me and my friends were on the play ground at recess and we were playing a tag game. Then, a 1st grader came up and asked if she could play. I told her that she could. That's being a positive leader because I showed her what you do to be nice to someone and now she will do it to other kids. I will use it in the future by acting my best and showing kids younger than me what is right and what is wrong.
I really liked this year. It has been a great year and I hope everyone has a great year next year. Some daily activities I liked were the games at the end of the day and on Fridays, CP Town Hall. I hope everyone has a great summer!!
My favorite project we did together this year was the October book talk. Dressing up as the biography character was fun. Answering questions about themselves and sounding like that person made learning about them more real.
ReplyDeleteThis year I learned about myself through the writing assignments. We had to do a lot of thinking about specific topics and write down our feelings and ideas. I figured out that I just need to start writing and my thought come easier. I like to use my imagination and come up with ideas which I will use for the rest of my life
I also learned that if I have to write a poem it will probably be a haiku. I love writing haikus because they are easy to describe any feeling or object. Plus they are only a total of 17 syllables.
Dear class,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite activity we did this year would probably be the personal narrative. It was really fun to do and it showed what has happened in my life. I enjoyed sharing my story with other people.
I learned that I can be a good leader by making people be quiet in the bathroom. I set a positive example by not talking and being distracting. People will reflect on me and there will be a domino effect. Learning to be a good role model will help me be a positive influence for others as I grow up.
I really enjoyed my second year in a row with you and how you always are a positive influence and I will miss you. But I hope Miss S. will do the same things that you did. My favorite daily activities were book talks.
Sean
Dear class,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite thing we did in class together was making Tinysota. It was really fun because we learned and played the role of making a town, I hope I can do this again!
I learned that I was a good rolemodel coming from the bathroom too the classroom. I was always quiet as I could.
I liked making Tinysota and maybe in science we could make the solar system. I liked the book talks and maybe we could make book talks about each planet. See you tomorrow!
From,
Eva
June 4, 2012
ReplyDeleteDear Ms. Shaw and class,
I really enjoyed doing the commercials for the book "The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler". It was awesome because we got to work with friends. I also liked it because it was such an extraordinary book to read.
I learned that if you ever see someone sitting in their locker you should tell an adult. You should do this because it is not safe. By telling someone you are helping them to make good choices.
I really liked doing book talks. These helped me to become a better reader. Having to present them helped me to get better at looking at the audience and talking in front of my classmates. I am proud of how I did on all of my book talks.
Third grade was an awesome year. From, Joey
My favorite project this year was when we did Tinysoda. It was fun because we got to work with our tables to create a miniture city. It was really fun.
ReplyDeleteI learned that I like to help a group get organized and do a project. I learned this lesson when we were doing all the group activities. It will help me in the future when I play sports.
Some daily activities you can do with your fifth graders are having jobs. You can also do the Tinysoda thing and doing the Congress project.
Sincerely,
JACK
Dear Ms. Shaw
ReplyDeleteMy favorite project this year was when we did the the glogster for book talks. I thought they were fun to make and fun to present I learned that I'm a good leader. I think this because at camp, lots ofpeople were messing around after lights out so I told them to go to bed. I liked the science projects we did about sound. I think you should do this project with your fifth graders
Dear Ms. Shaw
ReplyDeleteMy favorite project this year was making 2 GLOSTERS. It was so much fun to learn about how to make cool glogs . I hope that Mr Monseth will have as much fun stuff like you did.
A thing I learned about myself this year was that I can be a leader. I learned this because in book buddies, town hall, gym, art, music ( ect).I can teach kids to be a leader and do the right thing. All use it in my future because I can teach my kids or maybe grandkids to be positive and do the right thing.
This year I liked doing all the fun book talks. It was so much fun reading and hearing about all the genres of books.
Sincerely ,Olivia
Dear Class,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite project was the government project.
were we pretended to be congress and legistlative branches. Also were we made are flag books. I really loved that one.
I Liked it because you get to: Make laws, pass bills and se if your bill gets passed or vetoed. It was also fun because you know ho loud congress is.
I learned this year that I can Be confident in myself to achieve goals I set. also that I need to remeber my home work next year.
Sincerly, Charlie
dear miss shaw
ReplyDeletemy favorite project was the same as yours the congress. I liked it because we got to feel like we were in congress.
something i learned about myself this year was that I could respect people. I respected peoples ideas, and being nice to people.
I liked that you gave us a headstart on 4th and 5th grade. I know so much more now at the end of the year.
sincerely BIRCH
Dear Ms.Shaw,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite project was the how to project,beacuse you got to record it down and maybe it will help you later.
The thing i learen about me is that you have to think positive to be positive.Iknow ican be positiv eif i,m not streed so take a dee breath bearth and think happy.It will hepl me think positive and be not srered.
I think you should teach the 5th graders the law things because they can get there law done, like are group if you work hard.
From Grace,
Dear Miss. Shaw,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite project was our Tinysota. I liked it because it was fun working with our class to make a small town. IT was also fun to build our buildings.
Some things I learned about my self is that I am very good at congress. I work well with other classmates and I get my work done quickly.
Some things I enjoyed over the last few years are the lunch every month with miss shaw, Our Tinysota projects, The class blog, Making our websites, Our Voki and making our Game boards.
See you tomorrow.
From,
Lucia
my favorite book was the mixed up files.
ReplyDeleteDear Miss Shaw,
ReplyDeleteI learned a lot about native Americans and I would love to learn much more.But for now I'll tell you what I know. I chose 1969 the year the native Americans took over the island Alcatraz. I think that this time was so important to the native Americans because that was a place that was used throughout history to punish and isolate people. It was one of the ways that helped them gain there civil rights. I can't wait to learn more about the native Americans at school!
Sincerely,
Nicole