Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Physics of Sound

Today we began learning about the physics of sound.  What did you know about sound and how it's made before we did our lesson today?  What did you learn today about how sound is made?  Write a paragraph to answer these questions.  Remember to include your topic sentence to introduce the topic, at least 3 sentences with facts, and a closing sentence to wrap it up.

Also, remember that if you have problems adding a comment, all you need to do is use Safari or upload Google Chrome, which is very easy.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.

51 comments:

  1. Dear miss shaw, 2-6-12

    I learned that different things make different sounds. I also knew that sounds are made by things hitting the ground.

    sincerly,
    Owen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the directions again, Owen. What are you missing?

      Delete
  2. Dear Miss Shaw,

    I Learned that metal makes a higher picked sound when it hits the floor. I also learned that cardboard
    makes a lower picked sound. I also never know there was something called a drop chamber. So thats what I learned in science.

    From,
    Porter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember to include your topic sentence that tells us the main topic you will be writing about.

      Delete
  3. dear Miss Shaw,
    today i learned about stuff like sound discrimination, different sounds and more! like for example lighter objects make less sound.
    and that is what i learned today.

    Sincerely,
    Rory Conway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the directions again, Rory. Are there any parts that you're missing?

      Delete
  4. Dear Miss Shaw February 6, 2012
    Today I learned about sound. Three things I learned about sound are... One, I learned that metal will make a high pitched sound. Two that lighter things make quiet sounds. And three, heavy things make a pretty loud noise. That's all that I learned today!!!

    Sincerely,
    Luke Moberg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Miss Shaw,
    I learned alot about sound today.Before our lesson I knew that metal makes different sounds then cardboard. During our lesson I figured that if you put a nail close to the ground it makes a softer sound then if you put it three times that height. I also lerned that every object has it unique sound. Well, thats all I learnerd in science today. Have a good weak.

    Sincerely,

    Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job including all the parts of a paragraph, Jack!

      Delete
  6. Dear Ms. Shaw,

    There are lots of things I learned today. before today, I knew different stuff makes different noises, but during our lesson, I learned the more height, the more sound. I also learned sometimes, the object bonks down on the surface twice. The last fact is some stuff has low pitched or high pitched and loud or soft. That's what I learned in science today.

    from
    Noah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice job including all the parts of a paragraph, Noah!

      Delete
  7. Dear Miss Shaw and class,
    I learned a lot today in science. Before I knew that there is a lot of different sounds. Metal makes a high pitched sound and and cardboard makes a low pitched sound. At the lesson I learned that tin foil makes a sound that you can barely hear and a cup is very loud.

    Sincerely,
    Luke R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had some good facts and a topic sentence. What part of the paragraph are you missing?

      Delete
  8. Dear Miss Shaw, february 6,2012

    I knew that different objects make different sounds when they hit the floor because some are heavy and some are light. Today I learned about a drop chamber and that was really cool and that's what I learned today. See you tomorrow.

    Love,

    Sasha Driver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Shaw,
      I learned a lot about sound today. I already knew that different objects make different sounds when they hit the floor because some are heavy and some are light. Today I learned about a drop chamber. A drop chamber uses only your hearing not your vision. I learned lots of things about sound that were interesting.

      Love,
      Sasha

      Delete
    2. What was the 3rd fact that you learned?

      Delete
  9. February 6, 2012
    I learned a lot about sound today. Before today's lesson, I knew that sound can be loud or soft. First, I learned metal usually makes a louder sound. Then, I learned popsicle sticks make soft sounds. Finally, I learned that cardboard also makes a soft sound. Different objects make different sounds.

    Joey Trebil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Febuary 6, 2012 6:55 PM
    Dear Miss Shaw,
    Today I learned tons of stuff. I all ready knew that when different objects hit the floor or table that it makes different sounds for different objects. I learned that when metal hits the table it makes a dinging sound, and when cardboard hits the ground it can make one or two thumbs. And that was some of the things I knew and learned.
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucie said:

    I learned a lot today in science. Before the lesson today, I knew that sound is anything you can hear. I also knew that it was made by somebody hitting, strumming, or blowing. It is made by fast-moving objects. Today I learned that sound has lots of properties. Some of the properties are loud, soft, high-pitched, low-pitched, ding, ting, or 1 clunk or 2 clunks. That is what I already knew and what I learned today about sound.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucia said:

    I learned a lot in science today. Before the lesson today, all I knew is that sound is anything you can hear. Today I learned that sounds can be low-pitched, high-pitched, soft or loud. I also learned that a property of sound is how an object feels, looks, smells, tastes and sounds. That is what I learned and already knew about sound.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ms. Shaw, I learned about the properties of sounds. sound is made when something touches something and makes noises. I learned that there are high pitched sounds and lower pitched sounds quiet and noisy. I also learned that the property of sound is how an object feels, tastes, sounds, looks, & smells like!that is what I learned today in science.

    sincerely,
    Case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great facts, Case! What do you always need to remember to have at the beginning of a sentence?

      Delete
  14. Eva said:
    I learned many things in science today. I learned that their can be low-pitched and high-pitched sounds and many other things. Before the lesson today I knew the sound of a coin dropping on a hard surface. Also, I knew the sound of cardboard dropping and making 1 or 2 thumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good facts and a topic sentence. What part of the paragraph are you missing?

      Delete
  15. dear ms. shaw i learned that the biger somthing is the louder it will be, also some things you drop it will make more then 1 thump and the last thing i learned was that metel could be smaller then other thing but louder.

    From Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good facts, Grace. What 2 parts of a paragraph are you missing?

      Delete
  16. dear Ms. shaw

    Three things i learned is: 1. the lighter the oject is makes the sound softer
    2. the heaver the oject is the louder the sound is
    3. Sometime it depenes on the size or the how heavey it is

    From Hannah T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the detail sentences, but what are the two other parts of a paragraph that you need to include?

      Delete
  17. Olivia said:
    I learned today some new things and things I already knew in science. What I already know is that sound can make different noises and vibrations and that when you drop something it makes sound. But what I learned today is the properties of sound those are... 1.How a object sounds,hears,looks, tastes and smells
    2. There can be high and low pitched sounds
    3.There can also be 1or 2 flunks or dings
    Today that is what I learned about sounds today

    Sincerely,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great facts, Olivia! What do you need to remember to put at the end of a sentence?

      Delete
  18. Olivia said:
    Iin number 3. I meant clunks not flunks

    Sorry,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Ms. Shaw
    Today I learned that different objects make different sounds such as:

    1. some big objects make louder sounds
    2. some smaller objects make soft sounds
    3. medal objects make a cling sound

    From Birch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good facts. Remember to include your closing sentence. Also, what do you need to put at the beginning and end of each sentence?

      Delete
  20. Dear Ms.Shaw:

    I love sound!!! I knew sound could be heard in many angles. These are 3 things I learned about sound. 1. Bigger objects make louder sounds. 2. There are high pitches and low pitches and 3. Big coins thunk 1 or 2 times! I really liked science today!

    From Nicholas Yelkin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Before the lesson I knew sound was a noise. I learned that if you drop metal on a hard table it makes loud noise. I learned that coins and nails make the same sound. I liked the game where we tried to drop the same thing in the roll of paper as the people across from us by listening to the sound.
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good facts, Jacob. What 2 parts of a paragraph are you missing?

      Delete
  22. I knew that if you drop different things, they sound different. If you drop a penny and the other person drops a nickel it sounds different. Small objects sound different than big objects. Plastic objects make soft noises.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good facts, Anna. What 2 parts of a paragraph are you missing?

      Delete
  23. Monday, January 2, 2012

    Before our lesson today I knew that objects that aren't metal make a thump and objects that are metal make a ding sound. In our lesson today I learned bigger coins have a lower-pitch than smaller coins when dropped. I also learned in class that lighter objects move to the ground more slowly and make a quieter noise. These are somethings that I knew and learned about the physics of sound.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great facts and closing sentence! Remember to include your topic sentence at the beginning.

      Delete
  24. Before our science lesson I knew that different materials make different sounds. In class I learned that (1) small coins make quiet sounds and (2) big coins make loud sounds, so size affects the sound too. I also learned that (3) some sounds have higher or lower pitches. These are the things I learned in science today.

    Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear miss shaw, 2-7-12

    You know how we learned about the the phisics of sound in science two days ago. I learned lots of stuff along the way. For example I learned that each object that hits the ground has a different sound. Like a spoon or a cup they all hve different sounds. What you taught us yesterday was fun. It might just might be helpful in the future.

    sincerly,
    Owen

    ReplyDelete
  26. I learned some facts in science today:
    1. That small coins make quieter sounds.
    2. Bigger coins make louder sounds.
    3. Different objects make different sounds.
    4. Metal objects make squeakier and higher-pitched sounds.
    Those are some facts I learned at class today.


    Oscar

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear miss shaw,
    what i learned in class wa . 1. difrent objects make difrent sounds. 2. metal objects make ringing sounds. 3. each object has properties. that's all i have to say, BYE!!!
    Sincerly Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good facts, Charlie. Remember to include a topic sentence and closing sentence to wrap up your paragraph. Also, what should you include at the beginning of every sentence?

      Delete
  28. I love sound. Sound can only be made by two objects contacting each other. Even air when it contacts something can make a sound. Some high pitches are so high that a human cannot hear it. Also sound can be echoed and made louder. This is what I learned about sound.

    Carter Hruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super job including all the parts of a paragraph, Carter!

      Delete